Connecticut Better Business Bureau
is already receiving reports of fraudulent charities soliciting on behalf of the families and victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. As scammers prey on post-tragedy compassion, BBB serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington encourages local donors to:
- Be wary of “new” charities with little background information.
- Avoid organizations that only accept cash donations and refuse receipts.
- Watch out for solicitations from fake “victim” or memorial social media accounts.
- Beware of vague news headlines or sensationalist celebrity quotations tied to tragedies that are quick to go viral.
- Check with the Alaska Department of Law to ensure that charitable organizations and paid solicitors are registered—as required by law.
- Visit alaska.bbb.org/charity for more information on giving wisely.