Money, wealth, profit: Words sure to grab the attention of anyone looking for work in a down job market.
Search Profit System & Money Mastery, spsandmm.com, advertises a work-at-home program that claims consumers can make big money using search engines like Google, MSN, Yahoo and Bing. But some participants say they're spending more than they're making.
Complainants alleged that they signed up to pay $1.95 for a work-at-home packet or kit, but instead, ended up being charged $49.95 in monthly membership dues. Attempts to cancel accounts and get refunds were unsuccessful.
Better Business Bureau's research indicates that Search Profit System & Money Mastery utilizes a Seattle drop-box located at 93 South Jackson Street, # 20205. With 13 unanswered complaints in the last 12 months, this business has an "F" rating with your BBB.
Mars Hill Media (MHM), a company with possible ties to Money Mastery, has accrued a similar pattern of complaints. This Utah-based company also holds an "F" rating.
BBB serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington reminds job hunters to be careful when considering work-at-home opportunities.
Avoid potential employers that:
- Guarantee large, unsubstantiated earnings.
- Promise employment despite a lack of work experience.
- Solicit participation with high pressure sales tactics and limited time offers.
- Overhype the success of other individuals participating in their program, yet refuse to provide references.
- Tout free trial offers for start-up kits and software, but charge unwanted monthly membership fees. Often, the disclosure is hidden in the fine print of terms and conditions.
- Require unnecessary financial information. If a company demands that you wire money or provide a bank account number or credit card information, look elsewhere.
Although many employers verify Social Security numbers prior to hiring, confirm the potential employer's legitimacy before providing personal information. Research the company name online, check for licensing in the state where the company claims to be located, and look up their BBB Reliability Report at www.bbb.org.